Strong shoulders enhance your masculinity. They make you look attractive and strong. Some people are lucky enough to put on layers of muscle quickly because they are naturally gifted with this ability. While others spend long hours in the gym to grow a single fiber. But being naturally gifted with a good body build is not always the case. Sometimes, newbies don’t know how to lift weight, which equipment to choose for a good shoulder exercise or how many repetitions should be done in each set of workouts.
Many guys perform too many moves, chose their exercise unwisely and end up in pain instead of gain.
You train your muscles regularly but you get injuries and pain instead of strong shoulder. You must be missing something. What that would be? Yes, a good shoulder exercise. You are not aware which exercise will help you get strong shoulders. Don’t worry, we have the solution for your problem. Here are 5 shoulder exercise that you should do to get strong shoulders;
- Hang clean and press. One of the best shoulder exercises to do. It is often compared with high pull. This exercise allows you to use much more weight.
To start this shoulder exercise, stand with your feet outside of shoulder width apart. Now put your hands on your bar but they should be at the same place as your feet are on the ground. Keep your back straight and your chin up. Deadlift the weight in a standing position with the weight against your thighs for the starting position. Lower the weight down to just above your knees. Bend your knees and waist.
Extending ankles, flexing knees is very important to perform hang clean. Now do upright row to bring the bar in a straight line until it reaches your shoulders. At this point, rotate elbows and arms under the weight catching it in front of your shoulders with upward facing palms. Now bend slightly at your knees to assist with the catch. Finally, lower the bar back down to your shoulder and down the thighs in order to complete the rep.
- Dumbbell shoulder press. A very crucial exercise for strengthening and increasing the size of shoulder’s muscles. But don’t go crazy with this exercise otherwise you will get muscle injuries. This exercise works amazingly and explodes the shoulder muscles under the skin. Dumbbell shoulder press has many variations and each variation has same focus i.e. shoulder muscles.
Hold dumbbells in each hand. Start with right side first and lift the dumbbell to full extension and return weight back down under control. Now start with the left weight and perform the same moments with focus as you did while lifting the dumbbells with left side.
- Rear Delt Flys. This exercise will work best on your rear shoulder muscles also known as posterior deltoids. Use weight that you can easily manage and start this exercise in a static position.
Sit on a bench and put your legs out in front of you. Bend forward and rest your chest right on your thighs. It will keep the body in a proper position. Don’t press your chest too much on thighs and grab dumbbells. Just like side laterals bring dumbbells up, pause and control it back down. While bringing dumbbells up try to avoid lifting your whole body. Your chest must be close to your thighs while performing workout.
Do 12 rep followed up by 2-3 sets.
- Overhead Squat. Might be tough in the beginning but can become a second nature if practiced regularly. Lighter weights are chosen for this squat and it benefit shoulders more than legs.
Start by getting your barbells in an overhead position. Maintain the snatch position with your shoulder blades pinching together. Weight directly above your head and ankles. Do a squat whilst holding the bar firm. The bar may be behind your head as you reach the bottom of squat. Try to maintain a good shape and finish the rep.
While doing this exercise hit your back muscles as hard as you hit the chest and arms. It will help uneven muscle growth and will also minimize the chance of injury.
- Dumbbells side lateral raise. It increases the shoulder mobility. If done properly it provide benefits to other shoulders as well. For this exercise you don’t need heavier weights you can go with light weights. Start by sitting or standing straight while holding a manageable weight in each hand down near your hips and lift up straight. Get the dumbbells up to your neck or where your chin is and then bring it back down. Keep your shoulder blades pinched before starting. Do two to three sets of eight to twelve reps.
If you are having trouble in growing strong shoulder try out these amazing shoulder exercises and see the magic yourself.